Saturday, July 6, 2013

The Final Truman Nominees

I have now officially read all the Truman nominees for this school year and these last 2 were excellent.  I did not want to put either of these down.  The great news is that both are the first books in a series, so I can't wait to get my hands on the next installment of both.

First, I read The Name of the Star, by Maureen Johnson.  This is the first book in the Shades of London series.  The main character is Rory Deveaux, who is from near New Orleans, but heads to London for her final year of school before college. Her parents are college professors and are teaching for a year in Bristol, England and Rory wants an adventure too.  Shortly after Rory begins her school year, murders are committed on the same dates and in the same manner as those of Jack the Ripper.  The crimes of today are eerily similar to those that occurred in 1888 and all of London is feeling alternately terrorized and excited by these crimes that are occurring.  On the night of one of the murders, Rory and her roommate Jazza sneak out of their room and when they're sneaking back in Rory sees a mysterious stranger who stops and talks to her.  The next day, Rory realizes that the man must have been the new "Jack".  Rory makes some incredible discoveries about the murderer and some special abilities she has that allowed her to see him when others can't.  Can she stop the murderer before he commits his final and most devastating crime?  Read it & find out.  This was a great non-stop, paranormal adventure.  I can't wait to see what Rory does next in the second book in the series, The Madness Underneath

The final Truman nominee I had to read was The Girl of Fire and Thorns.  I loved this book, but I don't think it will be a book that everyone would like.  It was a historical fantasy type story of kings and queens and fights for kingdoms.  Our heroine is 16 year old Princess Elisa, the overweight second daughter of the king of Oravalle.  We meet her on her wedding day as she prepares to marry the king of a nearby country of Joya.  She's not really excited about it, because she hasn't ever met this guy.  Elisa is also unique in that she is the bearer of the "Godstone" - a jewel that was placed in her navel shortly after her birth.  This happens only once each century to one who is "chosen by God".  Elisa doesn't really know all that being the bearer of the Godstone entails until she enters her husband's country and is kidnapped because of it.  She learns about her destiny and has to pull it together and become a leader in order to save her husband's country and herself from ruthless invaders who are trying to overtake them.  This was a great adventure and also coming of age story for Elisa who really grows and develops from a not very likable character to one who you admire and root for to win.  

I've blogged about all the Truman nominees except for the ones I already talked to you about in class: Legend and The Eleventh Plague.  I definitely have my favorites and I think I know what my top pick would be, but I'm going to keep that to myself.  Remember - in order to be able to vote for the Truman winner, you must read at least 4 of the titles.  These are some really good books.  Mid-Continent has lots of copies available, so if it's too hot to be outside...head to the library and pick up one of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment