Monday, July 22, 2013

Fairytale, Thriller, & Dystopia...

Good morning En Fuego readers!  My summer book total is up to 40...my goal for the summer was to read 60 books.  Since I head back to school in 17 days, I'm not sure I'm going to get there, but I'm going to keep trying!  Let me tell you about 3 books I've read in the last week.

I'll start with Entwined, by Heather Dixon.  This is one I pulled off my shelf at school and brought home with me for the summer.  I picked it out completely for it's gorgeous cover (how superficial, I know!), but it turned out to be a fun read.  It was totally not what I expected.  Entwined is a retelling of the fairytale of the twelve princesses who love to dance.  In this book, Azalea is the oldest sister, who is left in charge of all her other sisters when their mother dies.  Their father goes off to war, but insists that they spend a period of a year in mourning for their mother, which means the princesses cannot dance, which is their passion passed on to them from their mother.  Azalea discovers a magical passage in their castle and the Keeper of this passage invites Azalea and her sisters to come every night and dance there, where they'll never be caught.  However, over time, it seems that the Keeper wants something from Azalea and the princesses in return and it could cost their father his life.  This was a fun story & I highly recommend it!

After reading last year's Truman winner, Girl Stolen, I put April Henry's newest book, The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die on hold at the library.  This was another thriller that you won't want to put down.  In this story, our main character wakes up and has no idea who she is or where she is, but she overhears a conversation between two men where one says to "take care of her" because she doesn't know anything.  She knows her life is in danger and that she must escape and not only that figure out who she is and why people are trying to kill her.  This is a short, fast-paced read.  If you like mystery and suspense, this is a book for you!




Finally, I've been wanting to read the Bar Code Tattoo, by Suzanne Weyn, so I also brought this one home from my school bookshelf.  In this futuristic story, everyone is getting a bar code tattooed onto their arms to make life easier.  This bar code is identification, contains their medical information, is like a bank card, and many other things.  Everyone is getting them & eventually it becomes the law to get one.  Kayla saw what getting the bar code tattoo did to her father.  Once he got it, things started falling apart in his life until he eventually committed suicide.  She doesn't know or understand what the bar code tattoo had to do with it, but she knows that it is at the root of the problem.  Kayla eventually has to go on the run to try to join the resistance against the tattoos and what they mean for the future of their society.  This is another thrilling and fast-paced story.  

In other news, your schedules for the year were mailed home last week.  Hopefully, yours has arrived.  If it hasn't, or there are any problems with it, contact one of your teachers and we'll help you get it straightened out.  Registration is coming up on August 8!  Enjoy what's left of the summer...and don't forget to do some reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment